3 Public Transit Driver Positons
Public Transit Driver
Pay Range varies depending on type of driver.
Limited benefits are available.
Purpose of Position
Entry level position, providing safe transportation to community members in different types of vehicles including wheelchair accessorized buses and vans. This position requires polite, professional and patient behavior when dealing with riders. Dependability, performing minor maintenance and upkeep of vehicles as well as using electronic mobile devices to enter data is part of ensuring compliant, safe and consistent rides to requested destinations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed, only a representative summary.
• Keep in communication with staff responsible for dispatching and the Transit Administrator throughout the shift, advising and updating any changes about drives, rides and schedules as soon as safely possible.
• Track and enter information into mobile devices all applicable information such as vehicle inspections, ride completions including such things as notifying dispatch of additional stops, additional passengers, and/or changes to the originally planned ride.
• Track and enter payments and monies from riders using both electronical devices and handwritten documentation and turn it in to the appropriate person at the end of the shift.
• Safely drive passengers to their destinations, assisting passengers door to door including things such as in and out of the vehicles, walking beside them for stability and helping with small packages such as grocery bags.
• Represent the transit service in a professional manner including behaving and communicating with passengers in a polite and respectful manner.
• Inspect vehicle daily using checklist prior to driving the vehicles.
• Monitor and maintain vehicle during shift such as keeping an appropriate gas levels throughout the shift.
• Clean and maintain the inside of the vehicle you are driving such as vacuuming floors, seats and throwing out garbage.
• Maintain assigned records and reports as necessary.
• Comply with all regulatory policies, statutes and laws.
• Perform all other duties as required and assigned.
Desired Knowledge and Abilities
The following are commonly associated with this position, they are included for informational purposes and are not all inclusive:
• Must hold a valid driver's license and clean driving record. Available and willing to drive an entire shift as needed.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local laws with respect to driving and public transportation.
• Knowledge of roads and maps in the city and county.
• Ability to communicate effectively and interact professionally.
• Ability to remain calm and respectful during interactions with difficult people.
• Ability to maintain records and information.
• Skills to safely operate vehicles.
• Skills to maintain clean and sanitary conditions.
• Skills to obtain and maintain required certifications
Necessary Special Requirements
Accommodations cannot be made for these requirements.
• Possession of a valid State of Nebraska driver's license and insurable driving record.
• Must be able to pass random drug test before hire, as well as during employment.
Essential Education and/or Experience
The following are commonly associated with this position, they are included for informational purposes and are not all inclusive.
• Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Experience driving shuttles, large vans or busses is preferred.
• Experience with developmental disabilities and/or the elderly helpful.
Working Environment and Physical Demands
Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position's main duties are conducted out of the Kimball County Courthouse or the Chappell Senior Citizens building. Work is generally performed in an environment subject to weather, fumes, chemicals and contact with the public. Considerable interaction with people requires frequent hearing and speech along with frequent walking and standing. Use of visual capacity including depth perception, color vision, and peripheral vision consistent with driving shuttle. Also, driving requires frequent use of fingers, hands and arms with frequent sitting, bending, kneeling, twisting, and lifting of 10-25 lbs.
Attendance and Availability
As determined by the Transit Administrator.
This position is anticipated to be part-time and must be available to work based on the needs of the transit system which may require regularly scheduled hours, travel, weekends and/or holidays.